Thursday, March 26, 2009

Teaching Your Child Gratitude!

Do you ever feel like your children continually want and expect
more stuff? Perhaps they don't respect or take care of the things
they already have. How do we teach our children to be humble and
grateful for what they have? It can be difficult sometimes to
convince our children how blessed they really are. One way we can
help teach gratitude to our children is by showing gratitude
ourselves.

Do you ever find yourself complaining about not having enough or
are you continually mindful and grateful for what you do have?
Children really notice the way we as parents talk about such
things. One way you can show (and teach) gratitude is by
remembering to say "thank you" for the little things to family
members and others. Another way to show gratitude is through
prayer. By praying out loud, your children can hear you expressing
thanks for your blessings. By sure to thank God for the blessing
of your wonderful children -- and be sure to state each of their
names!

Many years ago I heard the phrase: "Have An Attitude of Gratitude!"
It stuck with me every since. If we have an "attitude of
gratitude," then chances are our children will too. Many years ago
I attended Utah State University in Logan, Utah. Logan is known
for it's frigid winters! My roommates and I didn't want to get
depressed from the freezing cold and stress of school; however, so
we made up a little game to keep us amused and grateful for our
blessings.

As we trudged up this steep slippery hill in the dead of winter to
attend our classes, we would say something like (in an exaggerated
voice of course) "Boy, I am sure grateful to be getting this wonderful
education -- aren't you?" Then whoever responded would have to think
of something positive back, and so on. Then one of us would respond,
"Yeah and we are so lucky that we get to walk up this big hill every
morning -- look at all of the free exercise we are getting!" "Yeah,
good thing we don't have a car -- I mean then we would have to drive
around in circles looking for a parking place." "Yeah, we sure are
lucky aren't we!" It was a silly little game but it kept us smiling
and cheerful and it was entertaining to see who could come up with the
best responses.

We can play similiar "games" with our children. I recently heard a
story about someone who used her creativity to display a positive
attitude when things went wrong. For example, if someone cut her off
in traffic, instead of becoming angry she would try and come up
with the most outlandish story possible about why that driver was
driving so fast. She would say something like, "Wow, maybe his
wife is about to have a baby any second and they have to hurry and
get to the hospital before she delivers in the car.." Then her
child might take over and come up with a completely different story
about why that driver cut them off. Pretty soon they would all be
laughing at each other's stories and forget all about the car that
cut them off.

Sometimes it is our kids that teach us these valuable lessons of
gratitude. The other day I drove my kids to school as I do every
morning and my ten year old daughter said, "Thanks mom for driving
me to school today!" It was a little thing but it made me feel
good! Then when I started clearing the table after dinner she
said, "Thanks for helping us in the kitchen mom!" "WOW -- does she
want something," I wondered? Then today I received a hand-written
note that said "Thank you mom for not letting me quit piano..."

Was this really my daughter -- the one who complains each and every
day about having to practice a measly 30 minutes? Gratitude....
maybe there is hope after all...!

No comments:

Post a Comment