Thursday, March 26, 2009

Children, Stay in The Light!

I remember many years ago when I went on a water-skiing trip with
some friends at Lake Powell. Among the friends was a young mother with
a toddler. One evening after dark we were all gathered around the
light of a kerosene lantern as we visited with one another. As we
enjoyed each other's company, the young mother kept a close eye on
her little girl who kept trying to toddle away into the darkness.
The mother would reach out for her at the same time calling out,
"Stay in the light, sweetie, stay in the light!"

I have never forgotten those words. After all, isn't that our
responsibility as parents -- to guide our children towards safety and
light so that they don't stumble around, lost in the darkness?

When we teach our children to make correct choices; when we teach them
to pray, love other people, and become responsible citizens, we are
teaching them to "stay in the light." In our church, we teach our
children the following song:

"Teach Me To Walk In the Light"

Teach me to walk in the light of his love;
Teach me to pray to my Father above;
Teach me to know of the things that are right;
Teach me, teach me to walk in the light."
(Children's Songbook P. 177)

I hope and pray that we all teach our children to "walk in the
light."

No comments:

Post a Comment