Thursday, March 26, 2009

Encouraging Our Children's Individuality

Here is some advice sent in from Sujatha:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Wendy,

Thank you for the GOLD principle of parenting. My children have
grown up. I will recollect a few incidents & inform you. I have
twin girls. When they were 3-4 years old, I used to buy similar
dresses for both of them, as it is appealing to the eyes and I liked
the thought of giving equal significance to both of them.

Later on when they were seven years old, however, they told me that
I shouldn't purchase similar clothes for them, as they have their own
individuality and preferences.

Then I started buying two different ones and it was their choice to
select the ones they like. I learned the great lesson of
individuality and uniqueness of each child (even among twins) and the
respect the parent should give for it instead of inducing similar
behavior patterns.

After that each time I used to ask their preferences before making
decisions. It is continued even now. Let us respect the uniqueness of
each child and modify ourselves to promote it!

Regards,

Sujatha

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Sujatha for helping us learn from your experiences! We all
have so much to share to help each other be the best parents we can
be!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment