Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Lesson Of Charity Learned From My Child

Every once in awhile we as parents have the opportunity of seeing something special happen with our children that leaves us just a little bit in awe. Such a moment happened just the other day. My ten year old daughter came walking into the kitchen and announced matter of factly, "I don't want any presents for Christmas this year -- I want to send all my money to Humanitarian..." Wondering if she even knew what that big word meant I asked, "What do you mean by `Humanitarian'?" She said, "You know -- people who are poor. I mean, I already have enough stuff, I don't need any more. Do you think I could pack up our stuffed animals and things and give it to someone who doesn't have any?" Granted she doesn't have much money or toys to begin with, but I thought it was neat that she would be willing to give up all of her Christmas presents in order to help someone else! She notices the little things too. She came home from church one Sunday and said "Kathy (one of her teachers) seemed a little sad today -- is it okay if I make cookies and bring them over to her? And can we bring cookies to the new neighbors who just moved in?" "Sure!" I replied. We enjoyed the evening together baking cookies and talking and laughing. She then brought the gifts to our neighbors in order to cheer one up and to make another feel welcome. It was just a little thing but it was an important reminder for me. The Gift of Charity -- What a wonderful lesson my child taught me that day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment